I spent most of my day in my favorite place, my kitchen. Today was Sweet Treat Day Here. I got to make some candy and a batch of cookies. Both were new recipes for me, so it made it even more fun. I love learning new things, especially new recipes.
I did the candy first. It is called Christmas Crack. I am sure most of you have heard of it. I know it has been around a long time and can be made several different ways. I used what I had in the cupboards and it is great!
- 35 – 40 crackers (I used Club Crackers, use what you have)
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 ½ cups coarsely chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 15” x 10” x 1” pan with foil. Coat with nonstick cooking spray. Line up crackers in a single layer in rows on foil.
- Meanwhile, melt butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; boil 3 minutes. Immediately pour over crackers and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Bake 4 minutes. Remove from oven. Sprinkle chocolate chips over crackers and return baking sheet to the oven for 1-2 minutes more, or until chocolate chips are melted. Spread the chips evenly over the crackers.
- Sprinkle nuts or whatever you choose on top. Cut into squares while warm. Cool completely and store in the refrigerator.
Instead of nuts, you can sprinkle with M&M’s, crushed candy canes or sprinkles. Also you can use any flavor chips you like. White, dark, mint or peanut butter. The crackers can be any type you like also. Graham crackers, Ritz, or saltines. There is no going wrong with this recipe.
Here are the steps in photos…
Hope you enjoy this recipe and have as much fun making it as I did.
Have a Sweet Treat Day and see you soon,